Skip to content
Cherry Ice Cream Recipe
Recipe for Cherry Ice Cream
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Place the cherries in a bowl and cover with rum.
- Allow to soak for several hours or overnight.
- Heat the light cream and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved and bubbles begin to formaround edge of the pot.
- Whisk yolks until creamy. Add 1/2 cup of the warm cream to the egg yolks.
- Pour the warmed yolks back into the half-and-half and continue to cook, stirring, until the custard mixture coats the back of a spoon.
- Do not boil the mixture or it will curdle.
- Stir in the vanilla, allow to cool completely, then chill.
- Pour into the ice-cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Drain the cherries.
- When the mixture begins to thicken as it freezes, add the cherries and freeze until ice cream is the proper consistency.