A deliciously grown-up ice cream flavor. The following Caramel Ice Cream recipe uses an old-time recipe. The ultimate decadent ice cream dessert you can enjoy.
Recipe for Caramel Ice Cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/6 t. salt
- 8 t. water
- 2/3 cup 4 t. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Place the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan large enough to eventually hold the
milk and cream.
- Dissolve the sugar in the water over low heat. This may take a while. An alternative is to use the microwave, and then transfer the sugar solution to a saucepan.
- Increase to high heat and cook the syrup until it is golden amber colored.
- While the sugar is carmelizing, scald the milk and cream.
- As soon as the caramel is a golden-amber color, slowly add the milk and cream, 2 T. at a time.
- Be very careful, as the mixture will bubble up.
- Whisk the caramel cream into the eggs.
- Strain and refrigerate until Ice Cream cold.
- Freeze according to ice cream machine instructions.