Avocado is a fruit prepared in most savory dishes, with its creaminess lends itself to many desserts, including avocado ice cream.
Avocado Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 pt. half and half (1 cup milk 1 cup cream)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 yolks
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 2 ripe Haas avocadoes, pureed
- juice and zest of one lime
- First make 1 pint creme anglaise: Heat to a simmer 1 pt. half and half and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a bowl, whisk 3 yolks.
- Mix 1/3 of the hot liquid with the yolks, whisking. This warms the yolks.
- Now whisk the yolk mixture back into the hot liquid OFF THE FLAME.
- Let cool. When cool, add flavoring: 1/4 cup dark rum 2 ripe Haas avocadoes, pureed juice and zest of one lime.
- Freeze in an ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Notes: As you can see, this recipe is constructed so that it is easy to add any flavoring to the basic custard. Where it asks to add flavoring, try:
- Balsamic vinegar: Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (nutty and vanilla like, but slightly tangier. No one will even guess)
- Cognac: Add 1/3 cup cognac
- Passionfruit: Add 1/4 cup passionfruit puree.