Yee Foo Mee or Yee Fu Noodles can be purchased from supermarkets. It is sold pre deep fried, chewy noodles made from wheat flour and egg. While there are many versions available, here is a simple recipe on how to cook it.
Recipe for Yee Foo Mee
- One round of crisp Yee Foo mee, scalded with boiling water and drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion sliced
- A slice or two fresh ginger
- 2-3 grams green vegetable like kailan or chye-sim, cut into pieces, or shredded cabbage
- Some carrots, julienned (optional)
- Some beadsprouts
- 2-3 grams prawns
- 2-3 grams chicken meat, sliced
- Chicken stock
- 10 black mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp of oyster sauce
- dash of white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil
- 4 dessertspoons oil
- Coriander leaves or chopped spring onions for garnishing
- Put oil in pan. Add garlic and fry till light brown.
- Add sliced onions.
- Add chicken and fry a little. Add prawns.
- Add chicken stock, pepper, salt to taste, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Simmer.
- Add vegetables and carrots. Leave to cook.
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Add Yee Foo noodles. Stir quickly. There must be sufficient stock to make a rather moist consistency.
- Garnish with coriander or spring onions. Serve with plenty of cut chillies and soy.