Tasty Asian Dessert. Easy Steps.
Recipe for Kue Lapis
- 230g rice flour
- 45g corn starch
- 840 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pandan paste
- A few drops yellow and red colouring
Note: For this kuih you can use any color or as many layers as you like.
- 280g castor sugar
- 250ml water
- 3 pandan leaves
- Mix the sugar, water and pandan leaves in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil until the sugar dissolves completely. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together rice flour, cornstarch and salt. Add in coconut milk, mix well. Stir in syrup. Strain the batter to ensure it is free from lumps.
- Divide batter into 3 equal portions. One add in the pandan paste (green), one in yellow coloring and one in red coloring. From each color portion divide into 3 equal portions (this will ensure you will get 9 layers of kueh)
- Place a greased 8 inch tray in the steamer and heat up for 4-5 minutes.
- Steam the batter layer by layer. Pour the 1st layer of batter on the heated tray. Cover and steam over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until set.
- Follow by the next color and steam for 2-3 minutes and then the next layer.
- Repeat the steps, alternating the color until all the batter is used up.
- After the final layer is set, steam over the boiling water until the cake is cooked through, about 25 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool before cutting into squares to serve.