Looking for shrimp recipes? Try this famous hot and spicy prawns in sambal recipe which goes well with Nasi Lemak. This Sambal Udang is easy to cook with step by step instruction in preparing the dish.
Recipe for Sambal Prawns
Ingredients for Sambal Prawns:
- 1 lb med to large-sized prawns or shrimp, shelled or un-shelled
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp palm sugar
- Sugar and salt to taste
- 10 shallots
- 2 tsp belacan
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp chili paste
- 4 candlenuts
- In a small bowl, break a small chunk of wet tamarind using your fingers, strain, discard seeds, set aside. You should end up with a fairly thick brownish fluid called “tamarind water”
- Grind shallots, garlic, belacan, candlenuts, chili paste into a paste
- Heat wok on high, add oil, stir-fry ground paste till quite toasted and oil starts to ooze, about 5 mins
- Add onions, tomatoes, tamarind, sugar, salt to taste
- Cover, reduce heat to med, simmer till tomatoes are well stewed [mash with spatula] and sauce thickens
- Add prawns, stir-fry until just opaque – do not overcook!
- Dish onto serving plate, allow to sit 10 mins or so, for prawns to absorb flavors
- Serve with steamed rice or Nasi Lemak.