Sambal belacan or sambal terasi in Bahasa Indonesia, consists of chilies, belacan (Malaysian shrimp paste), kalamansi lime (limau kasturi), and salt and sugar (to taste or optional). Eat your rice and noodles with it, and some Singaporean/Malaysian dishes such as sweet and sour eggs (masak belanda), Penang char hor fun, grilled fish with banana leaves are total awesomeness with sambal belacan!
Recipe for Sambal Belacan
- 5 fresh red chilli
- 5 chilli padi
- shrimp paste (grilled or fried without oil – a must)
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 pieces of kalamansi seeded (or 1 tbsp lemon juice)
- 1/2 chopped onion (optional)
- 1 sliced tomato
- Using a mortar, mix all the ingredients except for kalamansi
- Pound the items until all well mixed, but not too puree
- Squeeze kalamansi juice and serve with your favourite dish!