Putu mayam is a sweet dish served with grated coconut and jaggery, or, preferably, gur (date palm sugar). In some areas, gula melaka (coconut palm sugar) is the favourite sweetener. Putu piring is a Malaysian version of putu mayam in which the rice flour dough is used to form a small cake around a filling of coconut and gur or jaggery. Putu mayam is also closely related to the Malaysian cendol which substitutes green pea flour for the rice flour in making the noodles. In all forms of the dish, pandan flavouring, as an extract…
Preparation: 5 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins
Recipe for Putu Mayam
Ingredients for Putu Mayam (serves 2-3):
- 100g rice vermicelli, blanched in salted boiling water till soft
- 250g grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3-6 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- Mix the grated coconut with salt and set aside.
- Divide the rice vermicelli into individual serving plates. Top with grated coconut and sugar and serve.