Chee cheong fun is a popular breakfast food in Singapore and Malaysia. Chee cheong fun is frequently served at kopitiams and Chinese restaurants.
Recipe for Chee Cheong Fun
Ingredients for Chee Cheong Fun:
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 oz rice flour
- 2 tbsp sago flour
- 20 fl oz water
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Crispy shallots
- Mix the two types of flour with 9 fl oz. of the water. Add A and mix well. Set aside.
- Bring the rest of the water to the boil and add gradually to the flour mixture, stirring as you pour.
- Grease two 9 inch round sandwich trays with oil. Place trays on a perforated rack in an iron wok of rapidly boiling water. Cover trays and heat for 2 minutes. Keep water in wok below the level of the rack at all times during steaming.
- Stir flour mixture, and pour a ladlespoon or 4 to 5 fl oz. of it into the trays. Tilt trays so that the mixture spreads evenly, before steaming. Cover wok and steam for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes or till mixture turns transparent.
- Remove trays from wok and put over a shallow basin of cold water for 1 minute. Use spatula to remove cooked paste. Form into a roll and place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Cut Chee Cheong Fun into pieces, sprinkle with crispy shallots and sesame seeds and serve with mushroom soy sauce and chili sauce. Sliced roast pork strips or steamed small prawns can be added if desired.
To make Chee Cheong Fun mushroom soy sauce:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 oz mushroom soy sauce
- 2 fl oz water
- 1 tsp msg
In a saucepan, heat oil, sugar and ginger till sugar turns a light brown. Pour in the mushroom soy sauce, water and MSG. Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes. Serve when cool.