Chee cheong fun is a popular breakfast food in Singapore and Malaysia. Chee cheong fun is frequently served at kopitiams and Chinese restaurants.
Recipe for Chee Cheong Fun
Ingredients for Chee Cheong Fun:
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 5 oz rice flour
- 2 tbsp sago flour
- 20 fl oz water
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Crispy shallots
- Mix the two types of flour with 9 fl oz. of the water.
- Add A and mix well. Set aside.
- Bring the rest of the water to the boil and add gradually to the flour mixture, stirring as you pour.
- Grease two 9 inch round sandwich trays with oil.
- Place trays on a perforated rack in an iron wok of rapidly boiling water.
- Cover trays and heat for 2 minutes.
- Keep water in wok below the level of the rack at all times during steaming.
- Stir flour mixture, and pour a ladlespoon or 4 to 5 fl oz. of it into the trays. Tilt trays so that the mixture spreads evenly, before steaming.
- Cover wok and steam for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes or till mixture turns transparent.
- Remove trays from wok and put over a shallow basin of cold water for 1 minute.
- Use spatula to remove cooked paste.
- Form into a roll and place on a plate.
- Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Cut Chee Cheong Fun into pieces, sprinkle with crispy shallots and sesame seeds and serve with mushroom soy sauce and chili sauce.
- Sliced roast pork strips or steamed small prawns can be added if desired.
To make Chee Cheong Fun mushroom soy sauce:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 slices ginger
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 oz mushroom soy sauce
- 2 fl oz water
- 1 tsp msg
- In a saucepan, heat oil, sugar and ginger till sugar turns a light brown.
- Pour in the mushroom soy sauce, water and MSG.
- Bring to the boil and boil for 5 minutes.
- Serve when cool.