Malay Fish Mousse – or Otak-Otak – fresh fish fillets which are blended with light spices, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves and other aromatic herbs, into a sort of fish mousse. The otah is then wrapped in banana leaves and steamed or grilled. Otah-Otah makes an exotic appetizer, for bbq gatherings or cocktail party bite.
Recipe for Otak-Otak
Ingredients for Otak:
- 50g galangal
- 150g shallots
- 50g garlic
- 5g lemon grass (lemon grass), sliced thinly
- 20g dried chilies (pre-soaked to soften and remove seeds)
- 10g shrimp paste (belacan)
- 2cm-length turmeric
- 300g of fish flesh (spanish mackarel aka tenggiri, use a spoon to scrape flesh from the fish and place the flesh in a bowl)
- 300ml thick coconut milk
- Grind galangal, shallots, garlic, lemon grass, dried chilies, shrimp paste and turmeric together finely.
- Grind again with minced fish meat and thick coconut milk to form a fine and smooth mixture.
- Spoon 1 tbsp fish mixture into banana leaf.
- Wrap up and secure otah-otah with toothpicks.
- Steam or barbecue otak-otak over charcoal fire till cooked.