Simple recipe fish and chips, good tasting and quick, served with a generous portion of freshly cooked chips!
It is one of Singaporean’s favourite meal. For a real treat, make your own tar-tar sauce and fries!
Recipe for Fish and Chips
- 4 cups vegetable oil for frying
- One fresh pound red snapper fillets (tilapia or dory for subtitute)
- One egg, beaten with dash of salt
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- In a large heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Dip fillets into beaten egg and dredge in bread crumbs.
- Gently slide fish into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain briefly on paper towels.
- Serve fish hot with chips and tar-tar sauce.
I recommend you buying the potato chips or fries at the supermarket as the preparation is not worth the effort.
But if you are eager to learn and want to make it on your own, try this easy one:
French fries recipe and other potato recipes.
- Oil for deep frying
Preparing your fries:
- Peel and cut potatoes into even strips.
- Soak potatoes in cold water for 1 hour.
- Fry in deep fat at 325° for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Increase heat to 375° and fry until French fries are tender and nicely browned.
- Sprinkle generously with salt, then “toss” the fries to mix the salt evenly. ( I suggest about 1 teaspoon of salt, maybe slightly more)
- Serve hot, serve immediately, and enjoy!
Tar-tar sauce recipe
Ingredients for Tar-Tar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, pickle relish, and minced onion.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.