This light Thai Glass Noodle soup is prepared with glass noodles (also known as mung bean noodles) often accompanies a spicy curry to cool the diner’s palate. Prepare this soup to make your Thai meal more authentic.
Recipe for Thai Glass Noodle Soup
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed with the side of a knife
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 oz. glass noodles soaked for 10 minutes in cold water to soften and drained
- 4 oz. ground chicken, formed into 10-12 balls
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 4-5 pieces of dried mushroom, soaked for 10 minutes in cold water to soften, drained and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 spring onion/scallion, green part only, slivered lengthways
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until a light haze appears. Add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the soup stock or water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the balls of minced chicken and cook for a one minute.
- Add the noodles and stir thoroughly. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, mushrooms, and white pepper.
- By this time the meat should be cooked through.
- Remove from heat and pour into bowl. Garnish with the spring onion.
- Season to taste with fish sauce.