Recipe for Beef Noodle Soup
Ingredients for Beef Noodle Soup:
- 1kg beef bones
- 500g beef brisket (cut of meat from the breast or lower chest of beef )
- 250g bee hoon or kwea teow
- 15cm thick ginger
- 1 large red onion
- 2.5 litre water
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp pepper
- 50g beansprout
- 1 medium size onion – sliced
- 250g beef sirloin
- 1 stalk Chinese parsley
- 20g Saw-leaf herb (ngo gai)
- 1-2 red chillies or chilli padi – seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 calamansi – sliced top
- Some pudina mint leaves – roughly chopped
- Coriander leaves – roughly chopped
- Saw herb leaves – roughly chopped
How to make Beef Noodle Soup:
- Pan-fry ginger and onion for about 5 minutes without oil. Leave aside.
- Put water in a medium pot, boil beef bones, sliced meat and beef brisket over high heat. Add pan-fried ginger and onion.
- Add star anise, cinnamon and salt to the pot. Lower fire and simmer for about 1 hour until meat becomes tender.
- Remove beef bones and meat from the broth. Slice meat thinly. Strain and put beef broth into another pot.
- Add in fish sauce, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- In another pot with clean boiled water, blanch taugeh and noodles of your choice and rinse through cold running water. Strain. Put noodles and taugeh in a serving bowl.
- Put sliced meat on top of noodles, and sliced onions.
- Pour hot beef soup to the bowl of noodles. Garnish with sliced chillies, coriander leaves, mint leaves and saw herb leaves. Add a dash of pepper to serve with calamansi aside.