This unique pickled cabbage, kimchi, is served as an accompaniment to almost any dish in Korea, and it is also a popular snack in Singapore. Some cooks combine the pickling liquid with water and heat it up as the stock for this soup. You can find jars of kimchi at Asian markets.
Recipe for Korean Kimchi Soup
Ingredients for Korean Kimchi Soup:
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 225 g drained kimchi, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 30 g fresh ginger, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Bring stock to the boil in a deep pot.
- Stir in kimchi and ginger with soy sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and ladle it into bowls.
- Serve soup on its own or with steamed rice.