Mutton Soup – mutton bones, shanks or ribs are slow simmered with aromatic herbs and spices. Garnished with fried shallots and fresh cilantro, it is a hearty meal served with steamed rice.
This flavorful soup – surprisingly earthy, satisfyingly meaty, elegant and subtle – will forever change the way you view soup.
Oxtails are perfect in this recipe to make Sup Ekor, also called Sup Buntut (Oxtail Soup).
Recipe for Mutton Soup
Ingredients (Serves 10):
- 2.5 lbs. mutton ribs, trimmed, cleaned
- 5 oz: onions, peeled, chopped
- 3/4 oz : garlic, peeled, crushed
- 3/4 oz: green chillies, sliced
- 1 oz: galangal (blue ginger), peeled, grounded
- 2 oz: KNORR Perencah Seasoning Powder
- 3 quarts : water
- 1 oz: MAZOLA Corn Oil
- 3/4 oz: ginger, peeled, grounded
- 6 : black cardamom seeds, crushed
- 3/4 oz: curry powder
- 1/2 oz: white poppy seeds
- 1 oz: coconut milk
- 1/2 oz: white peppercorns, freshly grounded, to taste
- onions, peeled, sliced, fried
- spring onions, sliced
- 10 spg : cilantro leaves, trimmed,
- Place the mutton ribs, chopped onions and garlic, sliced chillies, galangal and perencah seasoning in a stock pot.
- Fill it with 3 litres of water. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours or until the mutton ribs is tender.
- Gradually skim the fat with a spoon. Strain, keep the stock aside. Remove the mutton meat from the bones.
- Cut the meat into small pieces and keep warm.
- Heat corn oil in a soup pot over medium heat, add in grounded ginger, crushed cardamom seeds, curry powder and white poppy seeds and saute until fragrant.
- Add in the coconut milk, the stock and the cooked mutton meat. Bring to a boil and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 20 minutes and adjust seasoning.
- Place the soup in 10 warmed soup plates and garnish with fried onion, sliced spring onions and coriander leaves.
- Served with either bread or rice