Traditional preparation Rasam involves tamarind juice as base in addition to tomato, chili pepper, Pepper, Cumin and other spices as seasonings.
Recipe for Rasam
Ingredients for Rasam:
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups of cold water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds 8 curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 mins, squeeze and dissolve pulp in the water and strain.
- Put tamarind liquid, garlic, pepper, cumin, water, salt and coriander into a sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In another pot, heat oil and fry mustard seeds and curry leaves until leaves are brown. Add to the simmering liquid.