Mutton leg soup made with tomato, onion, garlic,coriander seeds, cumin, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, clove, cardamon and ginger. The best part is the delicious marrow in the bones! Which is pretty thick and rich.
Recipe for Mutton leg Soup
Ingredients for Mutton Soup:
- 500 g mutton leg (Goat legs are available in most stores that sell halal meat)
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp jintan puteh (cumin)
- 1/2 tsp jintan manis (fennel seeds)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 piece cinnamon stick – 1″ long
- 3 pieces clove
- 3 cardamon
- 2 slices ginger
- 4-5 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Clean the goat legs under running water, remove any unwanted fat clinging to the bones.
- Chop individually tomato, onion and garlic.
- Pound coriander seed, jintan puteh, jintan manis to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in pot, fry tomato, onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant and light brown.
- Add in pounded paste, cinnamon stick, clove, cardamom and fry until fragrant. Add in mutton leg, salt and water.
- If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cook for a little longer till 5 to 6 whistles if your pressure cooker gives out whistles or till it rocks hard.
- While cooking in a large pot, simmer till the meat near to the bone has cooked well and water reduces to almost half the amount (about 2-3 hours). Cover the pot and cook (add more water if required).
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure has subsided and cook at medium heat for some more time till the water has reduced to half.
- Serve and garnish with onion flakes and celery. In Singapore, this soup is served with french loaf.