Ideal for snacks or a stater, this crispy squid can be served on its own. It is fast and easy to cook – an instant favourite at hawker stalls and seafood restaurants in Singapore.
Recipe for Crispy Fried Baby Squid
Ingredients for Crispy Baby Squid:
- 2 cups of oil, for deep frying
- 400 g – 500 g baby squid – it will look little after frying
- 1 onion, cut into chunks (optional)
- some fresh pineapple chunks (optional)
- 1 tbsp of dark soya sauce
- 300 ml sweet Thai chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar to taste
- salt to taste
- few dash baked sesame seed (for garnishing)
- Wash and dry the squid thoroughly, leaving the tentacles and skins remained intact. Dry squid with paper towels.
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat.
- Deep-fry the baby squid until golden brown, and drain on paper towels.
- (Optional) Over high heat, quickly deep-fry the onion and pineapple chunks for few seconds and drain the oil. Set aside.
- Return 2 tablespoons of oil in the wok. Heat up the oil again. Add the Thai sweet chilli sauce, dark soya sauce, sugar and salt. Stir mixture well. Taste.
- Throw in the crispy fried squid to the wok and stir fry until they caramelise and become crispy. Add in the onion and pineapple. Mix well and turn off the heat.
- On a serving plate, lay some salad and cucumbers. Fill the plate with the Crispy Baby Squid. Sprinkle some sesame seed over the squid. Serve as a starter, snack or with other dishes.
Recipe Submitted by Singapore Local Favourites