Throughout Asia, this is the type of dessert that everybody’s mother or grandmother makes. The sweet tapioca is served with a salty coconut cream. This recipe serves 4.
Recipe for Thai Tapioca w/Coconut Milk
Ingredients for Thai Tapioca w/Coconut Milk:
- 1/2 kg tapioca (ubi kayu)
- 400 g sugar
- 2 litres water
- 250 ml santan (kara coconut milk)
- few pandan leaves, discard roots and knotted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Peel and cut the tapioca into bite-size chunks. Clean it in cold water.
- In a small pot, add in 1 litre of water and tapioca chunks. Bring to boil until tapioca is translucent, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.
- Once cooked, take the tapioca pieces out from the pot and set aside. Discard the water.
- Combine the sugar, pandan leaves and the remaining 1 litre of water in a pot then heat until the syrup starts to boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat, add in tapioca and gently cook in the sugar syrup until it becomes fully caramelized and transparent. Remove tapioca from pot and carefully place in a serving dish or individual bowl.
- In a saucepan mix the coconut milk and salt together and heat gently over low heat. Taste. Do not boil.
- Drizzle the coconut cream over the tapioca and serve warm or cold.
Recipe Submitted by Mariam