Otah (Otak-otak) wrapped in banana leaf.
Made with Kurau (Treadfin) or Prawns, lemongrass, buah keras (candlenuts), turmeric, dried chillies, garlic, onions, roasted coriander seeds, grated coconut, coconut and laksa leaves.
Recipe for Otah
Ingredients for Otah:
- 300 g fish (kurau) cut into thin pieces, after removing all bones or 300 g fresh prawns – shelled and cleaned
- 2 1/2 dessertspoons roasted coriander seeds – finely ground
- 6 dessertspoons grated coconut that has been fried golden brown – pounded a little but not fine
- 3/4 teacup very thick coconut milk from 3/4 coconut
- 1 tsp laksa leaves – finely sliced
- Salt to taste
Ingredients to be finely ground:
- 3 stalks lemongrass – sliced finely
- 6 buah keras
- 1/4″ dry turmeric
- 8 dried chillies – seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 small onions
- Pieces of banana leaves – softened by steaming or boiled in water for a few minutes
- Boil all ground ingredients together with coconut milk and salt till thick enough to set.
- Then add fried pounded coconut. Mix well.
- Remove from fire and leave to cool completely.
- When cool, add fish or prawns (uncooked) and chopped laksa leaves.
- Place a little of the mixture in a piece of banana leaf, fold the two sides over each other and secure the ends with tooth-picks.
- Make as many bundles of otah as you can.
- Grill them over a slow charcoal fire for about 15 minutes, turning bundles when necassary.
- Serve hot with Nasi Lemak or eat it on its own.