Mee Jawa is an Indonesian style noodle soup – another popular Malay noodle dish influenced by the Indonesian island of Java. The soupy gravy is made from fresh prawns and ladled over yellow egg noodles [chow mein]. Slices of potato, tofu [soy bean cake], egg, vegetables and shrimp garnishes the dish.
Recipe for Mee Jawa
Ingredients for Mee Jawa:
- 1 kg yellow noodles (scalded)
- 500 g beansprout (scalded)
- sliced green chillies
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 4 pieces fried beancurd
- fried sliced shallots
- chopped spring onions and celery
Ingredients for gravy:
- 1 cup fermented bean paste (washed and drained)
- 1 cup dried shrimps (geragau)
- 1 cup peanuts
- 6 buah keras
- 1 piece blachan (toasted and pounded)
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
Ingredients to ground:
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 inch blue ginger (lengkuas)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks lemon grass (serai)
- 30 shallots
- 20 dried red chillies
Method for gravy:
- Fry peanuts and buah keras in a little oil and blend together with fermented bean paste, dried shrimps and blachan.
- Heat 1/2 cup cooking oil and fry grounded ingredients until aromatic and well cooked.
- Add in blended ingredients from (1) and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add in 80 oz water or stock and let it boil.
- Thicken stock with 1 cup water mixed with 4 tbsp flour and stir until gravy is thick (dilute according to thickness).
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Mix scalded noodles with some beansprouts and pour some gravy over it. Garnish with egg slices, sliced green chillies, a cut lime, some taupok and fried shallots. Add a dash of black soya sauce.