Pineapple chunks (Pacri Nenas). A popular side dish that is usually served with specialty rice meal such as Nasi Minyak or Nasi Tomato. Pacri Nenas is a good combination dish to blend with at malay weddings and festives.
Recipe for Pacri Nenas
Ingredients for Pacri Nenas:
- 1 pineapple
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cloves
- 7 cm cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1 cardamon
- 1 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 2 fresh red chillies, slit lengthwise and deseeded
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon vinegar (optional)
- A pinch of curry powder (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cups water (optional)
- Oil for cooking
- Remove the pineapple skin, slice into rings and remove the core. Boil the pineapple with tumeric powder for about 5 minutes. Drain the pineapple slices and put aside.
- Heat a little oil and saute the shallots, garlic till golden brown
- Add a pinch of curry powder, cloves, cinnamon stick, star anise and cardamon until fragrant. Pour in 1/2 cups of water (adding water is optional as the pineapple juice will appear by itself).
- Add the pineapple slices and chillies and cook over low heat until boiling
- When boiling, add the salt, sugar and vinegar to taste. Serve hot with nasi minyak or briyani rice.