Beef Rendang has a unique flavour, and by varying the amounts of sugar and chilies a whole range of effects can be produced.
Serve Beef Rendang over rice. Beef Rendang or Malay Spiced Coconut Beef – Hot, dry spiced dish of tenderly simmered meat offers the typical Singapore/Malaysian taste of coconut, balanced with robust, tangy spices.
Rendang is a must-have on special occasions such as weddings, ideally served with nasi kunyit [turmeric rice]. During Ramadan & Eid, the Malay New Year, Rendang is sure to take center stage on bountiful tables of feast in homes everywhere.
During this festive season, a special rice cake called Lemang is made to eat with Rendang. Lemang is made from glutinous rice and santan [coconut milk], carefully packed into bamboo poles lined with banana leaves and cooked in the traditionally way over low open fires.
Recipe for Beef Rendang
Beef Rendang Ingredients:
- 3/8 pound shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 15 dried red chile peppers
- 5 slices fresh ginger root
- 5 lemon grass, chopped
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 pinch whole nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 2/3 cups coconut milk
- 7/8 cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat the coconut in a dry wok, stirring continuously until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Using a blender, blend the shallots, garlic, chilies, ginger, and lemon grass to a thick paste.
- Grind the coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg.
- Using the wok, fry the shallot paste in a little oil for a few minutes. Add the ground coriander, fennel, cumin and nutmeg; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring continuously. Add beef; cook over a medium heat for a further 3 to 4 minutes, or until meat is browned.
- Stir in sugar, coconut, cloves, cinnamon stick, coconut milk , and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer until most of the liquid has gone and the meat is tender (about 1 hour). Season with salt to taste.
Related Recipe – Rendang Padang