Satay Goreng is a dish whereby the Satay meat is fried instead of being grilled without skewers.
If you think putting the meat on the skewers takes time and troublesome, then this recipe idea is for you.
Satay goreng can be made with your choice of meat like mutton, beef or chicken. You can get the chuck tender or flank steak for beef satay. I prefer boneless chicken thigh for the chicken Satay as it taste juicier.
Recipe for Satay Goreng
Ingredients for Satay Goreng:
- 1kg beef, cut into bite-size pieces
- 500g sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 cucumber, sliced or cubed
- 3-4 red onions, sectioned
- 500g small shallots
- 3 stalks of lemongrass, use about 5cm root part only
- 2.5cm thick of galangal
- 2cm thick piece of ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp coriander (preferably pre-baked or cooked without oil)
- 1 tbsp cumin (preferably pre-baked or cooked without oil)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp fennel (preferably pre-baked or cooked without oil)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Place beef in a large bowl. Add sugar and salt to the beef and mix well. Cover and keep refrigerated overnight.
- The next day, grind all the ingredients fir the marinade together.
- Remove the beef from the fridge. Pour away any excess water at the bottom of the bowl.
- Add the marinade to the beef and mix well. Leave it ti marinade for at least four hours or preferably overnight.
- To fry, heat oil in pan and fry the beef until it turns opaque.
- Serve with satay sauce, cucumbers, onions, ketupat and sambal tumis aside.
Ingredients for Satay Sauce:
- 500g oil fried peanuts
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, bruised
- 2.5cm thick galangal
- 3-4 tbsp sambal tumis (see recipe for sambal tumis)
- 3-4 tbsp kecap manis (sweet soya sauce)
- Sugar, salt to taste
Method for Satay Sauce:
- Use food processor to coarsely chop the peanuts.
- Put crushed peanuts in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the peanuts by about 2cm.
- Add the lemongrass and galangal, and boil for 15-20 minutes.
- Add in the sambal tumis and kecap manis.
- Season with sugar and salt. Taste.
Ingredients for Sambal Tumis:
- 100g dried chillies
- 3 red onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2cm thick piece of belacan
- 50ml tamarind juice (mix with 1 tbsp of tamarind with 50ml water)
- Handful of dried anchovies (soaked)
- Sugar and salt
- Blend the ingredients together, Fry in oil until fragrant or oil surfaces from the chilli paste.
- Season with sugar and salt.