Recipe for Nyonya Kuih Pie Tee
Ingredients for Pie:
- 1 metal mold
- 180gm rice flour
- 50gm corn flour
- 50g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 400ml water
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1½ cup turnip or jicama (sengkwang), julienned
- ½ cup carrot, julienned
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 6-8 medium fresh prawns, shelled, deveined and chopped
How to make Nyonya Kuih Pie Tee:
- Salt to taste.
- White pepper powder to taste.
- A dash of oyster sauce.
- Spring onion (finely chopped), Coriander leaves.
- Mix all ingredients in step 1 into a bowl and beat with an electronic mixer until smooth and let batter stand for 1 hour before use.
- Heat oil in a wok with the mold in the oil. Do not overheat the mold. Dip the mold into the batter so it’s evenly coated (but not to the very brim) and then deep fry the batter. To remove the case from the mold while frying, jiggle the mold up and down or use a fork to loosen the edges.
- Fry as many cases as you want. The balance batter can be refrigerated (store in air-tight container) and used the next day.
- Once the case turns light brown, remove it from the wok and set aside. Pie Tee cups can be prepared ahead and kept in air-tight container until needed.
- To cook the filling, add some oil into a wok. Stir fry the chopped garlic and shallots until light brown and fragrant. Add in shrimp, jicama, and carrot and season with salt, pepper, oyster sauce. Cook for 5 minutes.
- To serve, fill the cases with the filling, garnish with spring onion, coriander leaves and serve with sweet chili sauce immediately.