Sambal Goreng is a protein rich spicy coconut vegetable dish which is commonly available in Malay Nasi Padang Stall. This is one of Javanese Malay’s favourite dish.
Recipe for Sambal Goreng
Ingredients for Sambal Goreng:
- 200 g tempeh, cut into cubes
- 300 g long beans (kacang panjang), slice diagonally
- 150 firm beancurd, cut into cubes
- 60 g fresh prawns, deveined and shelled if desired
- 60 g chicken gizzards, cleaned, boil till tender for about 20 minutes and cut into cubes
- 1-2 red chillies, slice diagonally
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk serai (lemongrass bulb), thinly sliced
- 3-4 tbsp thin tamarind juice
- 2 cups (500ml) coconut milk
- 2 tspn roasted belacan
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Cooking oil
Rempah to Blend:
- 3 cm ginger
- 3 cm galangal
- 4 fresh red chillies
- 5 shallots
- 4 buah keras (candlenuts)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk serai (lemongrass bulb), thinly slice
- Fry the tempeh and tofu separately until golden brown (Do not overcooked). Drain and set aside.
- Stir fry the long beans, chicken gizzard and prawns for about 2-3 minutes then set aside.
- Blend all the rempah ingredients in blender to a smooth paste. Heat a little oil in pan and fry this paste until fragrant and untill oil separates.
- Add in the sliced chilli, ginger, lemongrass and shallots. Stir and add in the roasted belacan, tamarind juice and coconut milk. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens (there should not be too much gravy) slightly then add all the other remaining ingredients that were set aside.
- Serve with rice, serunding and rendang pandang.