Mee Goreng is a favourite dish of Singaporeans. Mee goreng is well liked by all races for its spicy and tasty flavours and comforting quality. Although without egg, this version is simple yet tasty.
Recipe for Mee Goreng
Ingredients for Mee Goreng:
- 500 g yellow noodles
- 200 g fresh green vegetables or cabbage – rinsed, cut about 2″ length
- 2 cups beansprout – rinsed
- 1 fishcake – sliced thinly
- 200 g medium fresh prawns – deveined
- 1 squid – washed and cut into cubes
- 1 tomato – cubed
- 1 onion – sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sweet soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Few drops sesame oil
- Salt, if necessary
- Cooking oil
- 2-3 tbsp broth – chicken stock
- To blend together: 5 dried chilli (soaked in hot water and seeded) 5 cloves garlic
- Garnishing: Chinese chives (cut into pieces) or coriander leaves
- Some Calamansi – sliced top
How to cook Mee Goreng:
- Heat oil in a medium wok and cook the sliced onions until softened.
- Add blended ingredients, cook till fragrant.
- Put in oyster sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomato and 2 tbsp broth. Stir and mix well.
- Simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add in prawns, squid and vegetables. Stir. Add in sliced fishcake.
- Add sugar, salt to taste (optional) and sweet soya sauce. Stir and mix well.
- Add in yellow noodles and beansprout. Mix and cook until the noodles softened and blended well with all the ingredients.
- Add 2-3 more tbsp of broth if you don’t like your mee goreng to be dry.
- Garnish with lime, chinese chives or coriander leaves. Serve hot.