Kangkung, also spelled kangkong belacan is a common dish in Singapore. This dish is easy and simple to make.
Kangkung Belacan is a classic Malay recipe stir fried with spices and served hot at dinner!
Recipe for Kangkung Belacan
- 300gm Kangkung (Water Spinach)
- Salt and msg to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried shrimp, soaked in hot boiling water until softened, drained
- 3 chilies
- 3 red onions, peeled, sliced
- 2 garlics, peeled, chopped
- 1 teaspoon belacan (Shrimp Paste)
- Grind the spice paste ingredients until smooth
- Put the cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat, add the spice paste and cook for 3-4 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add in Kangkung, and stir-fry at high heat until well mixed (This should take less than 2 minutes!).
- Add salt and msg to taste. (Add very little salt to taste as the belacan is already salty)
- Do not over-cooked! Kangkung tend to softened very fast.
- Searve hot over steamed rice and bbq fish.