Cook Fish Curry the Malaysian way (Gulai Ikan). Try it out. Easy and fast to cook.
Recipe for Fish Curry
- 900g of fish – Cut the fish into medium-sized pieces preferably Tilapia
- 4 tbsp fish curry powder
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1 Onion – sliced
- 3 Garlics- chopped
- 10 Lady Fingers – trimmed & halves
- Curry leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 3 tbsp lemon juice or tamarind juice
- 2 cup coconut milk
- 2 chili halves
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for cooking
Other version – Singapore Fish Head Curry.
- Pour in oil in a pot and heat up.
- Put in 2-3 curry leaves, spices and some onions, fry till fragrant.
- Add in fish curry powder and stir evenly continuously stirred for approx 10 minutes (the paste should not stick on the pot).
- When the oil rises up, add in the lady fingers and fish.
- Add in coconut mik and 1 cup water, stir.
- Cover the pot, let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, add in chili and cover the pot for another 5 minutes (Do not over cook fish).
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Here is a video guide to preparing Malaysin version Fish Curry, step by step instructions to prepare.