Dumplings in Bamboo Leaves. Made with glutinous rice, chicken meat, Chinese mushrooms, dried shrimps, dried chestnuts wrapped in bamboo leaves.
Recipe for Dumplings in Bamboo Leaves
- 2.5 kg glutinous rice
- 1.2 kg boneless chicken thigh with skin
- 80 g Chinese mushrooms
- 300 g dried chestnuts
- 150 g dried shrimps
- 300 g dried bamboo leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp fine sugar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- Some pepper powder
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
For Glutinous rice:
- Oil for frying
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp fine sugar
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 3 tbsp black soya sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- some pepper powder
- Clean and soak glutinous rice for about 30 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Cut chicken into small pieces (each about 25 g).
- Season the chicken chunks for about 30 minutes.
- Soak and remove stems from mushrooms and cut into thick strips.
- Boil the dried chestnuts in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Remove and rinse with fresh water to get rid of the coats and cut each into half.
- Soak and remove the shells from the dried shrimps and fry with some oil.
- Boil the bamboo leaves with suitable amount of boiling water for a while. Remove and clean for use.
- Heat pan with 4 tbsp of oil.
- Add in the glutinous rice to fry over slow flame. Add in more (during frying, about 12 tbsp of oil will be used).
- Then add in 2 tbsp salt, 2 tbsp fine sugar, 2 tbsp light soya sauce, 3 tbsp black soya sauce, 1 tbsp sesame oil, some pepper powder and stir well (the total frying time is about 10 minutes).
- Divide into 50 portions.
- Arrange bamboo leaf into hollow, put in half of a portion well-fried glutinous rice and add in one piece of chicken, some chestnuts, dried shrimps, mushrooms, cover the stuffing with the other half portion of glutinous rice and wrap in into a 4 angle-shaped dumpling.
- Secure with straw.
- After wrapping, boil the dumplings for about 4 hours.