Corn Pudding – Khao Phoht Peak – Thai Dessert.
Most Thai sweets do not include wheat flour, which make them great for those who are gluten-intolerant. The typical list of ingredients is simply rice or tapioca flour, water, coconut milk and eggs. The mulititude of resulting variations is amazing.
Recipe for Corn Pudding (Khao Phoht Peak)
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour (Tapioca flour can be substituted by corn flour)
- 1 cup coconut cream (see below)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt (sea salt is preferable)
- Preparing the dessert
How to make Corn Pudding:
- Bring the water to the boil over medium heat, put in the corn kernals and stir frequently until cooked through. Add the sugar and continue to boil until completely dissolved.
- Mix the flour with some water and add to the corn. Continue cooking and stirring regularly until the flour is done, thick and clear; remove from the heat.
- Mix the coconut cream and salt together, bring to a boil over low heat, then remove from heat. Serve the sweet corn and top with some of the salted coconut cream.