Singaporean local Malays and Chinese have their own unique taste for porridge. The only differences is the ingredients that go into the porridge. This very light and soupy Bubur Lambuk is a very popular dish during the fasting month of Ramadhan served during the breaking of fast. It is an appropriate starter for the other dishes that follow the meals.
Recipe for Bubur Lambuk
Ingrediens for Bubur Lambuk:
- 80 ml olive oil (Minyak Zaiton)
- 200 g rice – Wash rice. Season rice with oil and salt for at least half an hour.
- 1 litre water
- 100 g shallot paste
- 20 g ginger paste
- 30 g garlic paste
- 60 g cashew nut paste
- 4 cardamom
- 1 cinnamon
- 5 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 60 g chicken powder or chicken cube
- 50 g minced chicken
- 30 g frozen mixed vegetable (optional)
- 10g Chinese celery – chopped
- 10 g spring onions – chopped
- 30 g fried shallots
- 50 g yellow raisins
- Salt to taste
How to cook Bubur Lambuk:
- Put olive oil in a pot, fry shallot paste, ginger, garlic, cardamom, cloves, star anise and cinnamon. Fry till fragrant.
- Put in chicken chicken powder, mix well.
- Add in minced chicken and cashew nut paste. Mix well.
- Add rice and water. When boiling, lower fire. Simmer till rice becomes soft and broken. Stir once in a while when simmering.
- Add salt to taste. Add mixed vegetable and simmer for another 2-3 minutes or till vegetable is cooked.
- When porridge is ready , serve and garnish with fried shallots, raisins, spring onions and Chinese celery .