This popular dish is an all-time favourite at hawker stalls and restaurants in Singapore. To eat the crabs, crack the shells, then suck the meat and enjoy the salted egg yolks coated taste. Don’t forget to provide empty bowls for the discarded pieces of shell for your guest and another with water cleaning their fingers!
Recipe for Crabs w/Salted eggs yolks
Ingredients for Fried Crabs w/Salted eggs yolks:
- 1 kg fresh mud crabs – 2-3 fresh large crabs (claws cracked, shells removed and cleaned. drain and dry with paper towels)
- 1 cup corn or tapioca flour
- 3 salted egg yolks (hard boiled or raw yolks only, chicken or duck)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 5 chilli padi, chopped
- 2 stalks curry leaves
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- Little salt or to taste or none
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Pinch of chicken powder
- 1 1/2-2 tsp sugar to taste
- 4 tbsp evaporated milk
- Oil for deep-frying
- Crack crab claws, pincers removed and trim the legs. Devide into 4 pieces. Clean and dry the crabs with paper towels.
- To begin, remove the salted egg whites from the hard boiled eggs. Mash the yolk and set aside. If you are using raw salted egg yolks, steam the yolks for at least 3-4 minutes and mash it. Set aside.
- Next, coat the crab pieces in corn or tapioca flour. Deep-fry in hot oil till crabs turn red. Transfer to a colander to drain off excess oil. Strain the hot oil and place the wok back on the heat.
- Melt butter in a wok, minced garlic, saute curry leaves and chilli padi until aromatic. Add salted egg yolks, keep stirring until “bubbles” formed.
- Add pepper, sugar, chicken powder and evaporated milk. Taste, add salt if necessary, then throw in pre-fried crabs. Reduce the heat and stir-fry briskly to mix. Dish up and serve hot.
Note: You can skip the crab if you find it too much hassle to find and prepare one, just replace the crab with large prawns.