Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. This is a great way to use up some leftover cooked rice in your fridge. Singaporean favourite dish straight from the restaurant and buffet menu.
Recipe for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Ingredients for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice:
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- 2-3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red or green chilli (deseeded and sliced thinly)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably cold, if fresh, leave for an hour or more in the refrigerator uncovered)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple (discard the tough and bitter core, cut into chunks)
- 8-12 fresh shrimp/prawns (cooked, shelled and deveined)
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Chicken floss for garnishing
- 1 stalk spring onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (chopped)
How to cook Pineapple Fried Rice:
- Crumble the cold rice between your fingers to separate the grains, and set aside.
- Add oil to hot wok and spread it around.
- Add the shallots, garlic, chillies and bell pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beaten egg and scramble for a minute.
- Add in chicken stock, fish sauce, curry, turmeric powder and sugar and stir-fry.
- Add cashews and do a few quick stirs.
- Stir in rice, break up any lumps and stir-fry until rice is heated thoroughly, about 3 minutes.
- Add pineapple chunks, prawns, mix vegetables and raisins and stir-fry to mix them in.
- When all ingredients are properly and thoroughly mixed, dish up the rice onto a serving plate and garnished with chicken floss, chopped green onions and cilantro.