Thai Pineapple Fried Rice. This is a great way to use up some leftover cooked rice in your fridge. Singaporean favourite dish straight from the restaurant and buffet menu.
Recipe for Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- 2-3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red or green chilli (deseeded and sliced thinly)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 3 tbsp chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably cold, if fresh, leave for an hour or more in the refrigerator uncovered)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple (discard the tough and bitter core, cut into chunks)
- 8-12 fresh shrimp/prawns (cooked, shelled and deveined)
- 1/4 cup mixed vegetables (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Chicken floss for garnishing
- 1 stalk spring onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander (chopped)
How to cook Pineapple Fried Rice:
- Crumble the cold rice between your fingers to separate the grains, and set aside.
- Add oil to hot wok and spread it around.
- Add the shallots, garlic, chillies and bell pepper and stir-fry until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add the beaten egg and scramble for a minute.
- Add in chicken stock, fish sauce, curry, turmeric powder and sugar and stir-fry.
- Add cashews and do a few quick stirs.
- Stir in rice, break up any lumps and stir-fry until rice is heated thoroughly, about 3 minutes.
- Add pineapple chunks, prawns, mix vegetables and raisins and stir-fry to mix them in.
- When all ingredients are properly and thoroughly mixed, dish up the rice onto a serving plate and garnished with chicken floss, chopped green onions and cilantro.