Individual omelettes can be made or make two large omelette parcels to serve 4. They are remarkably easy to make a tasty lunch or light supper. Similar recipe – Nasi Goreng Pattaya.
Recipe for Thai Stuffed Omelettes
Ingredients for Thai Stuffed Omelettes – serves 3-4:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 225 g minced chicken
- 2 tbsp nam pla (fish sauce)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
For the Omelettes:
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp nam pla (fish sauce)
- about 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat oil in wok or frying pan. Add chopped garlic, and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes until the onion is softened. Add the minced chicken and stir-fry for 7-10 minutes untill broken up and lightly browned.
- Stir in nam pla sauce, sugar and chopped tomatoes, with pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in chopped fresh coriander.
- Make the Omelettes: Whisk eggs and nam pla in a bowl. Heat a little of the oil in a 20 cm omelette pan.
- Add a quarter or half of the egg mixture, depending on whether you wish to make individual parcels or cut them in half.
- Tilt the pan to spread the egg into a thin even sheet. As soon as it sets, spoon some filling over the centre of the omelette.
- Fold the top and bottom over, then the right and left sides to make a neat, square parcel.
Variation: Replace half the minced chicken with peeled tiger prawns or white crab meat.
Recipe Credit – 500 Asian Dishes by Ghillie Basan