Learn how to prepare canned Abalone, the Chinese style. Recipe for Sliced Abalone with Shitake Mushrooms. Tasty braising sauce with simmered Shitake Mushrooms.
Recipe for Sliced Abalone and Shitake Mushrooms
Ingredients for Sliced Abalone & Shitake Mushrooms w/Oyster Sauce:
- 1 canned Abalone (about 1 1/2 abalone) – drained and thinly sliced, retain about 100 ml Abalone broth
- 6-8 dried Shitake Mushrooms – rinsed, soak them in hot water till softened
- 1 cup fresh chicken stock
- 4 large dried scallops – rinse, soaked in hot water till softened – retain soaked scallops water for use later
- 1 handful Broccoli florets (or any fresh green leafy vegetables of your choice)
- Hot water
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- dark soy sauce – for colouring
- 4 small cubes rock sugar – for the glaze
- cornstarch mixture (1 tsp cornstarch diluted with 2 tbsp water)
- dash of salt
- dash of sesame oil (optional)
- To begin, remove stems from the soaked mushrooms, squeeze out the water in the mushroom caps and set aside. Reserve about 1/2 cup of water for use later.
- Heat the fresh chicken stock in a pot and add in abalone broth, the water you reserved in from soaking the dried mushroom and scallops, shitake mushrooms and dried scallops. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. When the liquid runs out during simmering, add more broth or hot water when necessary, a little at a time.
- Add oyster sauce, about 1/2 tsp dark soy sauce and 4 small cubes of rock sugar. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with additional oyster sauce if necessary, dark soy sauce for colouring and rock sugar to taste.
- Turn off the heat and quickly thicken the sauce immediately with cornstarch mixture until it reaches a slightly thick but still runny consistency. Add a dash of sesame oil (optional).
- In a meantime, blanch Broccoli florets in boiling water with a dash of salt added for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- On a small individual plate, lay 1-2 whole blanched broccoli, 1-2 simmered mushrooms, one whole dried scallop and abalone slices. Pour the sauce over and serve immediately.