Singapore Beef Hor Fun (Cantonese) thick rice noodles cooked in a thick broth with beef and green vegetables.
Recipe for Beef Hor Fun
Ingredients for Beef Hor Fun:
- 150g beef fillet, trimmed and slice beef thinly against the grain
- 350g fresh flat rice noodles (hor fun)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce combined with 1 tbsp water
- 100g mustard greens (sawi), trimmed 1 tbsp oil
- A handful of bean sprouts (optional)
- 1 stalk spring onion, cut into 3cm lengths
- 3-4 thin slices young ginger
- 1 tsp old ginger juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1 tsp oil (to be added last)
Sauce (B) (combined)
- 1/2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp chicken stock granules
- 5-6 tbsp water
- 2-3 tsp corn flour
- Marinate beef with all the seasoning ingredients (A) and set aside for 20-25 minutes.
- Bring water to a boil in a wok, add in marinated beef and scald for 4-5 minutes. Drain the meat and leave aside.
- Heat wok with 1 tablespoon oil and swirl the wok around so that the oil coats the pan well. Use the spatula to remove any excess oil, then add in the rice noodles. Fry the noodles briskly in the hot wok for 1-2 minutes. Add the combined soy sauce mixture and fry the noodles well. Dish out and place on a serving platter.
- Heat a clean wok with 1 tablespoon oil and stir-fry mustard greens and beansprouts for 30-40 seconds. Remove and place around the noodles.
- Reheat wok with a little oil and fry ginger slices until fragrant. Add in combined sauce ingredients (B). Return the pre-cooked beef and fry briskly. Add a dash of sesame oil and a little more oil to glaze the gravy. Pour the gravy and beef over the noodles and serve immediately.