Putu mayam is a sweet dish served with grated coconut and jaggery, or, preferably, gur (date palm sugar). In some areas, gula melaka (coconut palm sugar) is the favourite sweetener. Putu piring is a Malaysian version of putu mayam in which the rice flour dough is used to form a small cake around a filling of coconut and gur or jaggery.
Preparation: 5 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins
Recipe for Putu Mayam
Ingredients for Putu Mayam (serves 2-3):
- 100g rice vermicelli, blanched in salted boiling water till soft
- 250g grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 3-6 tablespoons brown sugar, or to taste
- Mix the grated coconut with salt and set aside.
- Divide the rice vermicelli into individual serving plates. Top with grated coconut and sugar and serve.