Easy Nasi Kuning (Yellow Rice) Recipe. Learn how to cook this indonesian rice dish cooked with coconut milk and turmeric. Indonesian yellow rice is usually eaten during special events, served with Rendang and Ayam masak merah.
Recipe for Nasi Kuning
- ½ pounds Rice (washed thoroughly, until water runs clear).
- ¾ tsp Turmeric
- ½ tsp Galangal (laos) powder
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cup Coconut milk
- Place rice in covered saucepan. Cover rice with water (water should be 1 inch above rice). Boil until water is almost evaporated.
- In separate saucepan, bring to a boil turmeric, galangal powder, bay leaves, and coconut milk. Pour the rice into this mixture.
- Cook uncovered, over low heat, about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all liquid has evaportated and steam is escaping through the surface of the rice.
- Serve Nasi Kuning hot with Rendang or Ayam Masak Merah. (6 servings)