Indian food. Recipe for Rasam. Traditional preparation involves tamarind juice as base in addition to tomato, chili pepper, Pepper, Cumin and other spices as seasonings.
Recipe for Rasam
Ingredients for Simple Rasam:
- 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 3/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups of cold water
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds 8 curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in hot water for 10 mins, squeeze and dissolve pulp in the water and strain.
- Put tamarind liquid, garlic, pepper, cumin, water, salt and coriander into a sauce pan and bring to boil.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In another pot, heat oil and fry mustard seeds and curry leaves until leaves are brown. Add to the simmering liquid.
Photo credit –