Sambal Goreng is a protein rich spicy coconut vegetable dish which is commonly available in Malay Nasi Padang Stall. This is one of Javanese Malay’s favourite dish. Another version of Sambal Goreng – Sambal Goreng Pengantin.
Recipe for Sambal Goreng
Ingredients for Sambal Goreng:
- 200 g tempeh, cut into cubes
- 300 g long beans (kacang panjang), slice diagonally
- 150 firm beancurd, cut into cubes
- 60 g fresh prawns, deveined and shelled if desired
- 60 g chicken gizzards, cleaned, boil till tender for about 20 minutes and cut into cubes
- 1-2 red chillies, slice diagonally
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cm ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk serai (lemongrass bulb), thinly sliced
- 3-4 tbsp thin tamarind juice
- 2 cups (500ml) coconut milk
- 2 tspn roasted belacan
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Cooking oil
Rempah to Blend:
- 3 cm ginger
- 3 cm galangal
- 4 fresh red chillies
- 5 shallots
- 4 buah keras (candlenuts)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk serai (lemongrass bulb), thinly slice
- Fry the tempeh and tofu separately until golden brown (Do not overcooked). Drain and set aside.
- Stir fry the long beans, chicken gizzard and prawns for about 2-3 minutes then set aside.
- Blend all the rempah ingredients in blender to a smooth paste. Heat a little oil in pan and fry this paste until fragrant and untill oil separates.
- Add in the sliced chilli, ginger, lemongrass and shallots. Stir and add in the roasted belacan, tamarind juice and coconut milk. Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens (there should not be too much gravy) slightly then add all the other remaining ingredients that were set aside.
- Serve with rice, serunding and rendang pandang.