This Saffron rice recipe yield 4 to 6 servings. It is important to note that you must use Basmati rice to make this dish which is similar to Nasi Briani and Nasi Tomato. Saffron rice has distictive flavor of both Basmati as well as Saffron. Basmati rice is available in at most grocery stores in Singapore.
Recipe for Saffron Rice
Ingredients for Saffron Rice
- 4 cups Basmati long-grain rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed saffron threads (threads should be almost all bright red)
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter
- 12 whole cardamom seeds
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 onion, sliced
- 6 cups boiling chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
How to cook Saffron Rice:
- Cover Basmati rice with cold water and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Soak saffron threads in 3 tablespoons boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat; add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and fry 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in the rice, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the boiling broth and stir in the salt and saffron.
- Cover pot and reduced heat to low. Let the rice cook and all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- Garnish with fried shallots. Serve rice hot with Ayam Merah, Briani dish or Steak.