This simple Curry Chicken is a common delicacy in South Asia (specifically India), East Asia, as well as in the UK and Caribbean. A typical spicy Curry Chicken is easy to make, consists of chicken in an onion, tomato, and yogurt-based sauce, flavoured with ginger, garlic, chillies and a variety of spices, often including cumin, cinnamon, cardamom.
"Indian Chicken Curry"
"Spicy Malay Chicken Curry"
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg chicken breast fillet, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh lemongrass
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped (if unavailable use 2 tsp grated lime rind)
- 4 small fresh red chili peppers, seeded,chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 1 (250 ml) cup water
- 1 (250 ml) cup coconut cream
- Heat oil in large pan, saute onion, ginger and garlic, stirring until onion is soft.
- Add chicken, cook, stirring, until browned lightly.
- Stir in spices, lemon grass, lime leaves and chilli, cook, stirring until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients, simmer, Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve Curry Chicken with rice, prata or naan bread.