Quick, easy-to-follow chinese style Sweet & Sour Prawn recipe (Udang Galah Masam Manis). Simple to make and the end result is a fascinating blend of flavors that are not be missed!
Sweet Sour Prawn Recipe Ingredients:
- 1/2 kg large/medium fresh King prawns, peeled and deveined (with heads on)
- 225 grm Pineapple Chunks in Syrup
- 1 small can lychee fruit, drained (optional)
- 1 cucumber, seeded and cut diagonally
- 1 carrot, cut diagonally in thin slices
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 2 red chili, seeded and chunked
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/6 oz Cut the ginger into 3/8 inch square slices
- 1 big onion chunked
- Oil for deep frying
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tapioca or corn starch
- 1 cup water
- Sesame oil for seasoning
How to make Sweet And Sour Prawns:
- Heat 2-3 cups cooking oil in a wok / deep frying pan over high heat (320°F). Deep fry the prawns for 1 to 2 minutes until shrimp are opaque. Drain prawns on absorbent paper. Drain the oil from the wok. Reserve 1/2 cup oil in the wok.
- Stir fry the ginger, onion, bell pepper and chili over high heat. Stir fry for 1 minute untilthe aroma and flavors are released.
- Add carrot and cucumber, pineapple chunks, lychee, tomato sauce, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 cup water and bring to the boil.
- Dilute 1 tablespoon tapioca starch with 1/2 tablespoon cold water. Add 1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce. Add the vinegar into the wok. Mix well quickly. Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil for seasoning.
- Drop in the prawns and coat them quickly with the sauce and place on a platter. If thinner sauce is preferred, more water can be added.
- Serve with steamed rice.