Vindaloo is a hot and spicy dish from the Goa region of India. There are many variations of the vindaloo recipe. Authentic Goan vindaloo is not a curry but more of a dry sauce-based dish, which tastes better as it ages. Source. – A Pub that serve this dish in Singapore – Bojangles.
Recipe for Vindaloo
Ingredients for Vindaloo:
- 1 chicken (1 1/2 lbs.) – cut into pieces
- 12 small red onions, sliced
- 3-4 dessertspoons vegetable oil
- 4-5 dessertspoons vinegar
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ingredients to be ground separately (a), (b), (c), & (d)
Ingredients to be ground separately:
- (a) 3 dessertspoons jintan puteh
- 20 dried chillies (seeded – do not seed if a hotter curry is wanted)
- 1 small piece tumeric
- (b) 4 cloves garlic
- (c) 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger
- (d) 1 tsp mustard seeds – coarsely
- Put oil in pan.
- Fry ground garlic (b) till slghtly brown.
- Fry sliced onions.
- Fry ground ingredients (a).
- Add ground ginger (c) and mustard seeds (d).
- Add chicken and salt. Fry for a few mins., add a little water, and cover pan.
- When chicken is almost cooked, add vinegar and sugar, according to taste.
- Simmer chicken till chicken is tender. (This is a dry curry).
- Serve with hot white rice.
Printable Version – Chicken Vindaloo