Ingredients for Tau Suan (Mung Beans Dessert):
- 500 g sugar
- 30 g water chestnut flour
- 20 g sweet potato flour
- few pandan leaves, discard roots and knotted
- a stick of you tiao (you char kueh)
- 250 g drained pre-soaked mung beans
- 1.5 litres water
- Heat the pot, add in 1.5 litres of water and pandan leaves. Let it boil for about 10 minutes.
- In a meantime, dry fry mung beans in a wok, add 2-3 dsp of sugar to caramelize and brown them a little. This will firm up the beans, when you soften and boil them later in the syrup.
- Remove the pandan leaves from the pot, transfer the beans over and boil for another 5-7 minutes.
- After 5-7 minutes, add sugar according to your taste. Stir.
- Mix the water chestnut and potato flour together. Add some water to make starch.
- Lower the heat and thicken the Tau Suan syrup by slowly adding the starch to the pot (to your desired thickness), and stir gently. Turn off heat.
- To serve, fill dessert bowl with the Tau Suan and top some chopped you tiao over it. Serve hot.
Image Credit - adrianling1
Recipe Credit - Makansutra Cooking (makansutraweb)
Do you like this recipe?