Traditionally spring rolls were prepared to celebrate the spring harvest and were, accordingly, packed with vegetables. Spring roll wrappers are available in Asian markets.
Ingredients for Chinese Spring Rolls w/Beansprouts:
- For dipping sauce: 2 tbsp black or rice vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp fresh root ginger, grated
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 225 g fresh beansprouts, washed and drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 leek, trimmed and cut into fine matchsticks
- 130 g tinned bamboo shoots, drained and cut into fine matchsticks
- 170 g fresh button mushrooms, cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
- freshly ground black pepper
- 20 spring roll wrappers
- vegetable oil for deep-frying
- In a bowl, whisk together vinegar and soy sauce. Stir in root ginger and let stand for 1-2 hours so flavour mingle.
- Heat oil in a wok and stir-fry all vegetables for about 2 minutes. Add salt, sugar and pepper. Stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until vegetables are tender but still retain some bite. Turn off heat and let vegetables cool.
- Place one wrapper on a flat surface and put roughly 2 spoonfuls of mixture down one side, about 5 cm from edge. Pull that edge over filling, tuck in ends and roll wrapper into a tight log.
- Seal edges with a little water or mixture of cornflour and water. Keep finished rolls under damp cloth or clingfilm to prevent them from drying out.
- Heat enough oil in a wok for deep frying. Fry rolls in batches for 2-3 minutes, until crispy and golden, then drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve hot with dipping sauce.
Recipe Credit - 500 Asian Dishes by Ghillie Basan
Buy and order books cheap online, novels, recipes, used books - Spring Rolls
Do you like this recipe?