Recipe for Onion Soup
- 4-6 onions
- about 1/2 kg thyme
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 4-8 tbsp grated cheese
- margarine or oil
- 1 1/2 litres chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 slices of bread
- Peel the onions. Halve lengthwise and cut into very thin slices.
- Cook in the fat over a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add a dash of sugar which gives colour and flavour.
- Add the crushed thyme and 1 whole bay leaf.
- Sprinkle over a little wheat flour if you like a thicker soup.
- Add the stock and cook over a low heat for 2 hours.
- Season with salt, pepper and bring soup to the boil.
- Pour into soup bowls and serve with bread and cheese separately.
- You can gratinate the soup:
- Bake the bread slices or cubes of bread in the oven first (they can be brushed with olive oil and garlic).
- Pour the soup into heatproof bowls, sprinkle cubes of bread or place a large slice of bread in each bowl or in a large bowl, sprinkle the cheese and gratinate under a hot grill or the oven untill golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
Do you like this recipe?