Recipe for Mutton leg Soup
- 500 g mutton leg (Goat legs are available in most stores that sell halal meat)
- 1 tomato
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed
- 1/2 tsp jintan puteh (cumin)
- 1/2 tsp jintan manis (fennel seeds)
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 piece cinnamon stick - 1" long
- 3 pieces clove
- 3 cardamon
- 2 slices ginger
- 4-5 cups water
- salt to taste
- Clean the goat legs under running water, remove any unwanted fat clinging to the bones.
- Chop individually tomato, onion and garlic.
- Pound coriander seed, jintan puteh, jintan manis to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in pot, fry tomato, onion, garlic and ginger until fragrant and light brown.
- Add in pounded paste, cinnamon stick, clove, cardamom and fry until fragrant. Add in mutton leg, salt and water.
- If you are cooking in a pressure cooker, cook for a little longer till 5 to 6 whistles if your pressure cooker gives out whistles or till it rocks hard.
- While cooking in a large pot, simmer till the meat near to the bone has cooked well and water reduces to almost half the amount (about 2-3 hours). Cover the pot and cook (add more water if required).
- Open the pressure cooker after the pressure has subsided and cook at medium heat for some more time till the water has reduced to half.
- Serve and garnish with onion flakes and celery. In Singapore, this soup is served with french loaf.
Image Credit - flippersy
Do you like this recipe?