Recipe for Saffron Rice
- 4 cups Basmati long-grain rice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed saffron threads (threads should be almost all bright red)
- 1/2 cup ghee or butter
- 12 whole cardamom seeds
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 2 onion, sliced
- 6 cups boiling chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- Cover Basmati rice with cold water and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Soak saffron threads in 3 tablespoons boiling water for 10 minutes.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat; add cardamom, cloves and cinnamon and fry 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Stir in the rice, reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Pour in the boiling broth and stir in the salt and saffron.
- Cover pot and reduced heat to low. Let the rice cook and all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
- Garnish with fried shallots. Serve rice hot with Ayam Merah, Briani dish or Steak.
Do you like this recipe?